Adopt a Road
Help Keep Maricopa County's Roads Beautiful!
Groups and individuals have been adopting roads through the MCDOT Adopt a Road program since 1990. Each year, participating groups remove tons of garbage from their chosen segments of county roads, saving taxpayers thousands of dollars, generating pride in their communities, and helping to Keep Maricopa County Beautiful.
How to Participate:
- To inquire about available Adopt a Road segments and to request an Adopt a Road Application, please contact the Adopt a Road Coordinator or call 602-506-4068.
- Please provide information on the location you would like to Adopt a Road in. To get a general sense of road segments in our Adopt a Road Program please view our map.
- If you are renewing your application, you can fill out the form to renew here.
- Read the Adopt a Road Safety Guidelines Opens a New Window. before considering Adopting a Road.
- Approved groups are issued a permit to use Maricopa County right-of-way to provide litter control on the designated segment of roadway. The permit can be renewed every two years.
- Participating groups agree to conduct at least two litter cleanups a year for two consecutive years.
- Each group must have a designated group leader who is 18 years old or older.
- All group participants must be at least 12 years old; anyone under 18 years must have a signed Minor Participation Permission Opens a New Window. form to participate in a cleanup.
- Any eligible group that participates in the program must comply with State laws that prohibit discrimination based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, and other applicable laws.
- MCDOT will provide safety vests, gloves, litter grabbers, litter bags, and a set of portable caution signs.
- MCDOT will provide safety training to the group leader prior to the group's first cleanup. Group participants agree to review safety guidelines and sign Waiver/Photo Release Opens a New Window. form before every cleanup.
- Groups will submit a Cleanup Report Opens a New Window. after each cleanup; a MCDOT maintenance provider will collect the bags of litter following the cleanup, unless the participating group chooses to self-dispose.
- MCDOT will install recognition signs on each end of the adopted roadway segment. The recognition signs will remain for duration of the participating group's permit in adherence to the general guidelines.