Installation / Set Up
Full Installation Procedures
- Step 1: Back Up Old Drainage Design Management System (DDMSW) Projects
- If all the default installation paths are adopted during the installation, none of the data in the previous version or projects developed under the previous version will be overwritten. But it is always a good practice to backup the projects developed under the previous versions.
- If you do not have the previous version of DDMSW on your computer, you can go directly to Step 2. If you have the previous version of DDMSW and you want to preserve those projects, you can proceed as follows.
- For DDMSW 3.3.2 or above version backup, launch DDMSW and then go to:
- Project Management
- Backup Project
- Select a Project
- Click the "Backup" Button
- For DDMSW 2.1.0 backup, launch DDMSW 2.1.0, and then go to:
- Check Backup Project in Action Frame
- Select the Project You Are to Back Up in the Project Frame
- Click the "Backup" Button
- Repeat Step 1.3 to back up all old DDMSW projects. The backup projects will be saved in zip format to the "backup" sub folder under the DDMSW installation folder.
- Copy the backup projects in zip format to a folder outside the previous version DDMSW installation folders
Note: Later after the DDMSW 4.6.0 is installed, all zip files can be imported back into DDMSW 4.6.0). We always recommend saving the backup projects on a different computer for storage purposes.
- Step 2: Install DDMSW 4.6.0
- If you have DDMSW version 2.1.0 or lower installed on your computer, a full installation of DDMSW 4.6.0 is required. If you have DDMSW version 3.3.2 or above installed on your computer, you have the option of either installing the full version of DDMSW 4.6.0, or upgrading the previous version of DDMSW to DDMSW 4.6.0 by running the upgrade patch. See "Upgrading the old DDMSW to DDMSW4.6.0" for details on how to do an upgrade. We recommend the full installation of DDMSW 4.6.0. You can have multiple versions of DDMSW installed on one computer if you want to compare the results of different versions.
- Right-click the Installation File (ZIP) and choose "Save Target As" to download the FCDMCINSTALL460.EXE to a temporary folder (for example, c:\ddms460download) on your computer.
- Double-click on FCDMCINSTALL460.EXE in the temporary folder (for example, c:\ddmsw460download) to start the installation. A warning message will be displayed to allow you to change the default installation folder.
- Select the default installation folder, follow the installation process to finish the installation. The installation package will guide you through the rest of the steps.
- Launch DDMSW 4.6.0
- After DDMSW 4.6.0 is installed, launch DDMSW 4.6.0 by clicking the shortcut on the Start Menu
- Start Menu
- Or click directly on the DDMSW shortcut (DDMSW4) on the desktop.
- If you already have the previous version of DDMSW on your computer before the installation of DDMSW 4.6.0, the shortcut on the Start Menu or on the desktop is replaced with the DDMSW 4.6.0 shortcut. If you want to use the previous version of DDMSW, you need to manually create a shortcut for the previous version of DDMSW.
- To create a shortcut for the previous version of DDMSW, go to the installation folder for DDMSW and find the stl.exe file. Right-click on stl.exe and select "Create Shortcut." A shortcut called "Shortcut to stl.exe" will be created in the same folder. Right-click on "Shortcut to stl.exe" and select "Properties" to open a new window. At the "Start in:" text box, it should show the installation folder. For example, if your DDMSW 4.1.9 installation folder is C:\FCDMC419\ST, the text box should show "C:\FCDMC419\ST." To make the shortcut work, append "\Data" to the installation folder in the text box of "Start in:." Example: "C:\FCDMC419\ST\Data." Now this shortcut can be used to launch DDMSW 4.1.9. This shortcut can be copied to the desktop to be used later. This procedure is also documented in the DDMSW manual.
- Initialize DDMSW 4.6.0
- After launching DDMSW 4.6.0 in the above step, click the "OK" button in the "Agreement" window if you agree with the disclaimer, then click the "OK" button in the "Select Project" window. On the menu bar click on Tools and select Options to open the "Setup Options" window.
- Click the "Browse" button on the right hand side of the "Help Reader" text box to locate Acrobat Reader, AcroRd32.exe on your computer (the actual location of the executable file may vary depending on which version of Acrobat Reader is installed on the computer. Normally it is located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat xx.\Reader\, where xx. is the version number). Click AcroRd32.exe then click "OK." This step will set up the path to the Acrobat PDF Reader (all help files are in PDF format). Click "OK," then "Save."
- Upon installation, "Programmer's File Editor" (pfe32.exe) is automatically set to be the default word processing editor. You can change it to your preferred word editor by clicking on the browse button on the right-hand side of the "Editor" text box to locate the executable file of your preferred word editor, like notepad.exe, wordpad.exe, or winword.exe. Click on "OK," then "Save."
- Click the "OK" button on the "Setup Options" window to exit "Setup Options."
- Model Runs Path Set Up. This step will set up the path to model runs (where the hec-1 models will be run).
- If you have already created a project, then go to File => Select Project to open the "Select Project" window => Highlight the project you are to set up => Click "OK" to close the "Select Project" window. Then go to File => Project Paths to open the "Project Paths" window => Click the "Browse" button on the right-hand side of the" Model Runs Path" text box to select the folder for the Model Runs Path. (The default folder is "modlruns" under your installation folder. That is, if you installed DDMSW 4.6.0 under C:\FCDMC\ST, then the default model run folder should be C:\FCDMC\ST\modlruns\. But you can select a different folder on your computer.)
- If you are going to create a new project, then go to File => New Project to open the "Select Project - Add" window to set up and save the new project. Then go to File => Project Paths as indicated in the above step to set up the project path.
- Import Old Projects
- If there are any backup files (in zip format) from the previous version of DDMSW (see Step 1), you can import them into DDMSW 4.6.0 now.
- Go to File.
- Project Management to open the "Project Management" window.
- Import project radio button and select "Import" button.
- Locate the folder which contains the backup projects you are going to import from.
- Highlight the project (in zip file format).
- Click "OK" to import into DDMSW 4.6.0.
- If you have more than one project to import, repeat the previous step to import
Setting Up / Modifying Access Privileges on the Installation Folder for Non-Privileged Users
- Log in using an administrator account.
- Navigate to the installation folder.
- Right-click the folder and select "Properties" to open the Properties window.
- Click the "Security" tab.
- Select the user whose access permission needs to be modified.
- Check the written permission check box if it is not checked.
- Repeat (5) and (6) for each additional user.
- When all users have been updated, click OK to close the window.
These steps can also be used if DDMSW is already installed but will not launch due to folder access permissions.
If you have any questions, please email Dr. Carlos Carriaga.